Tuesday, September 9, 2014

My Post Connection


Since I was at Ruby Lane Books last Saturday for a booksigning (a big thank you to Rosa Latimer), I've been pondering my Post connections - there are several.
  • My nephew married a lovely young lady from Post. (if that isn't a song, it ought to be)
  • I'd rather drive to Holly's for a hamburger rather than drive to Lubbock for dinner.

And the oldest connection is through my husband. His grandfather, Job Davies was one of the founding fathers of Garza County, his name engraved in the metal plaque on the square. Coming from Bresford, England to hunt buffalo, Job named a town in Texas the same - located between Lubbock and Post. In 1905, he became the first postmaster of Bresford, Texas. Five years later, because the railroad came through the area, the town was renamed Southland and moved to its present location.

That isn't exactly a Post connection, however I can't help but think that Job Davies was in Post at some time in his life. If nothing else, to bring his bride, who was also from England, to the store for a bit of civilized conversation since they lived in a half dugout and to spend the night at the historic Garza Hotel Bed and Breakfast. According to one of the teachers at the school Job helped establish, whenever he finished a story, he always ended it with...to be continued.

And that is how I will end this one because there is so much more to his story than these two paragraphs ---hey, perhaps another book?            
                                                                       ...to be continued.
 
 

1 comment: