Sunday, December 28, 2014

Country Mailman


Tune in every week to read about the adventures of Buck Buchanan, fictional country mailman, delivering mail out of Starz, Texas. He takes his job seriously and knows that customers count on him to deliver every piece of mail entitled to them. He is all about customer service. With a willing ear and a helping hand, Buck Buchanan goes the extra mile.

*  *  * 

The little duck was waiting for me when I drove up to the mailbox. She held her mother’s hand and waved with the other. The first sign of Halloween - a week early. She must be practicing.

“Wicky weat”

I looked around the car quickly to see if I had anything to give little Kylie Samuels, spotted the red and white mint wrapped in plastic and handed it to her before giving the mail to Jessica. They both smiled in response and waved again as I pulled back onto the road.

Kylie Samuels is a miracle baby. Miracle as in, had I not punctured a tire on County Road 5960 at ten o’clock in the morning, Kylie’s parents would never have met.

I must have looked distressed that morning in July, as I lay prone on the caliche road, rocks digging into my back. The Ford was a new purchase and I had to find where to put the jack, therefore half my body was under the car as I searched for the little notch.

“Buck? Are you okay?”

I glanced over, surprised because I had not heard the sound of a motor. I only saw bare, long legs and part of a bicycle. “I’m fine Jessica – just had a flat.”

Minutes earlier, I had given her the mail as she returned from an early morning ride. Jessica Allum was close to six feet tall with shapely legs so long that anyone would stare, man or woman. She was also training for the July Bike-Athon and home from college for the summer.

“Well, I’m going to stand here so no one runs over you.”

I chuckled. “There’s not much traffic. I don’t think there’s any danger.”

“You wouldn’t say that if you saw what I see.”

Just as she spoke, I heard rumbling under my head. The ground was beginning to shake. I crawled out from under the car and felt my eyebrows arch. Several trucks, as wide as the dirt road, bore down on us like a herd of buffalo, raising dust that would take an hour to settle.

“What is it?” Jessica asked, edging toward me as if I would offer protection.

“A drilling rig and all the stuff that goes with it.” I surveyed my car. “Looks as if I’m going to hold them up a bit.”

A large pickup led the entourage. After the parade stopped and the motors were idle, two men got out. Luckily, a slight breeze kept the dust from clouding around us.

“Problem?”

I smiled slightly at the older man who spoke first. “Just the regular flat tire. Give me a few minutes and I’ll be out of your way.”

“I’ll change it.” The younger version of the man who appeared to be in charge, went back to the truck, removed an oversized jack and a battery-charged impact wrench. In less than three minutes, he had my spare tire on and was tightening the lug nuts. I scratched my head and marveled at the strength of young men. But, as my wife, Babe, often remembers aloud, I did lift a freezer into the back of a pickup singlehandedly. I don’t recall being as stout as the youngster kneeling by my car, but even close, would have been just fine.

When he finished, he smiled at Jessica. “I see you have a Kestral Talon. You must race.”

Her answering smile made me think I needed to give the two some space so I walked to the front of the car and spoke to the older man. “Where are you headed?”

“Three miles up the road. At least I hope it’s this road. We’re drilling on the Jenkins place.”

“You’re on the right road. I’ll pull off at the next drive and get out of your way.”

He shrugged. “Looks as if someone will have to help the little gal get home.” He pointed to the bicycle tire that was clearly as flat as mine had been. We watched the young man lift it with one hand and put it in the back of the truck. “And it looks like I’m riding with the rig. Those two seem to have already reached a solution to the problem.”

“Dad, I’m taking Jessica and her bike home. Do you want to go with us or ride in the rig?”

There was a hint of a smile on the older man’s lips as he winked at me. “I’ll ride with Fred. You come when you’ve got everything under control.”

That was my cue to be on my way. I thanked the young man and headed down the road thinking those two young people looked good together, both tall, both slim, both with a ready smile on their faces.

That was six years ago. Jim and Jessica Samuels still have ready smiles on their faces. They also have little Kylie and if I’m not mistaken, another miracle baby on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment